Fort Amiel Museum Newcastle
Fort Amiel was built in 1876 by Major Charles Frederick Amiel and 200 men of the 80th Staffordshire Volunteers .
It served as a commissariat depot, transit camp, and hospital during the Anglo-
In 1979 the site was declared a National Monument and restoration begun.
Discovery of the original plans in a London Museum assisted the restoration work.
These plans established the uses of the various buildings. Excavations on site revealed foundations of the Magazine, Shell store, and R.E. Store.
These were rebuilt on the foundations in 1986. The Officers' Quarters and the Cook house were demolished brick by brick and reconstructed.
Today, Fort Amiel houses an historic/cultural museum. Displays concentrate on the
The Fort's canteen houses clothing, bric-
A recent addition to the Fort is a Zulu Umuzi (hut) with a detailed interior.
Contacts Tel: 034 328 7621 9 or 072 238 1983.
OPEN TIMES: Mon to Fri 10h00 to 16h00 Sat 10h00 to 13h00
|Membership App form|
|Annual Conference - Regional|
|Annual Conference - National|
|Museum Help Line|